Custom Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Round 5? Meh...

A few days ago I added a fifth round to Rosaleen, the design from this post.


It was good practice. I found it was a bit more difficult to add a new round when one was never planned. But, as a stand alone motif, I don't like it. It's too big for a snowflake, and oddly shaped for a coaster.

I did have the idea that it might work as the center of a larger doily. I've never designed a doily before, so it would be a good learning experience for me.

At the same time, I wanted to see if Inkscape was a viable resource for drafting tatting designs. You see, I simply cannot create something unless I have a visual reference to guide me. I often get ideas of how to put elements together, but unless they are drawn out in front of me, I don't really know if it will look any good.

The iPad app (Kaleidoscope Drawing Pad) is good for making small designs. However, there is not nearly enough room to draw a doily. So, to Inkscape, to create a design draft:


I used the diagram I had for Rounds 1 through 4 and added to the design. It took about an hour (maybe a bit longer) to create, and it's not perfect, but good enough to give me an idea of how the design could look visually.

Creating the above drawing involves using some techniques that I have not covered yet. I plan to get back to making Inkscape posts in early December. Hopefully, by that time I will also have the diagrams ready for Rosaleen, so that I can post them to my Free Patterns section. I will make a post about it when it's available.

For Carollyn: Here is the motif in size 80, without Round 5. The thrown rings in Round 4 have also been omitted. It measures 3.5 inches across at its widest and may give you an idea of what to expect if you were to tat all five rounds in size 80.


17 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

I love the elegant peaks, the way the chain stitches curve inward, is just lovely, I thought snowflake and would love to try that in size 80 maybe that would make it small enough for a snowflake? what size thread did you use and what does this measure? If not this doily is lovely and can't wait to give it a try :)

Robin Perfetti said...

I tatted this in size 40 and with all five rounds it measures 5.5 inches across at its widest. In size 80, it's 3.5 inches across with Rounds 1 through 4 (no Round 5). I just updated the post with a photo of how it looks in size 80. I'm guessing it would be somewhere between 4 and 4.5 inches across with Round 5.

It's no problem for me to add Round 5 to the diagram as an optional addition. I may use the stitch count to double as a border for the larger piece that has multiple hexagons joined together.

Jane McLellan said...

The size may be a bit in-betweenish, but it's really pretty and pleasing to the eye.

Madtatter80 said...

Wow you tat fast! ha ha ha. That is beautiful! I want to tat that!

Phyllis said...

Love the rounds 1 thru 4. That thread looks lovely as well. Nice and wintery.

Robin Perfetti said...

Lol, I made that one back in March. Just happened to have it handy at the right time :)

Madtatter80 said...

:) Thank you for posting for me, I for got to say that glad it was close by too.

muskaan said...

I like the 5th round & would easily use it as a coaster. Why should coasters be all square & boring ?!
I also like the snowflake look without Round 5.

And wow, love the doily diagram you've created ! Very inspiring.
I agree about the kaleidoscope app - I had downloaded it, but it still felt more like a kid's game with not enough variability & tools. Inkscape will take a long time 'mastering' but is so worth it, Especially with (and Because of) your tutorials & demos.

One thing about the doily, though. Just my thoughts - the highlight of your pattern, to me, is the elegantly 'spiked' chains (Round 3). Can that be reflected in some way in the outermost round ? Or the other alternative is to highlight it with thread colour choices.

God's Kid said...

Love both pieces!!! :) And the colors too!!! :)
Love the design of the doily!!! :)

Margarets designer cards said...

I like both designs as a doily and the Middle as a snowflake. Love your colour way you used, very pretty.
Look forward to seeing the pattern one I would definately like to try
Margaret

Robin Perfetti said...

I will definitely keep that in mind if I ever get around to making it into a doily.

As far as using Inkscape for drafting designs: I'm wondering if creating a template file with lots of individual elements would be beneficial. Imagine copy pasting flowers or clovers and piecing them together like you would a puzzle. I see some potential there.

muskaan said...

Oh, I thought you were already doing that - kind of like a stock of elements, in different shapes, sizes, etc.
But, yes, there is tremendous potential, once you get comfortable with the program. And if one enjoys jigsaws, then it will be Such Fun ;-)

Kathy Niklewicz said...

To say I'm in AWE is putting it mildly! We are witnessing amazing creativity here, with your computer skills and artistic vision, not to mention tatting skills! You're easily on your way to designing a doily, and it is definitely fabulous to be able to 'see' the design sketched out ahead of time, using the computer. I'm so amazed that you're also taking the time to write tutorials, too! Inkscape looks very promising! The developers would be pleased/amazed with your use of it!

You're being much too critical about the snowflake/coaster. I agree with Muskaan that the design is excellent! Actually, large snowflakes look great on a big tree and certainly as a window decoration or a motif to put on tote bags or small pillows or boxes and a gazillion other items!

Marla said...

OOhhh Myyy! This is such a lovely lovely pattern! I would love to see it tatted up all the way, but it is just as lovely as a snowflake or through round 5. I too would love to tat this and I'm hoping you have the pattern written out somewhere. You have a wonderful sense of design!

Robin Perfetti said...

Aiming to post about it on Monday, though I may sneak it onto my Free Patterns page a few days early :)

Robin Perfetti said...

Thank you Kathy :)

I've been too hard on myself for as long as I can remember. That's a tough habit to break!

Tally Tatty said...

Seen from afar, your diagram shows the potential for a beautiful large doily, like the one Fox is tatting at the moment. The radial symmetry is very nice to look at<;
I love it, when doilies become larger, thei pictures on blogs become smaller and reveal different details of the design.