Custom Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Triangles

After all of the pattern writing and proofreading, I really wanted to take a break and just tat. While brainstorming a few snowflake ideas, I stumbled onto a triangle. It looked like it would make a good building block for a variety of patterns:


I like to use building blocks as a basis for creating patterns. I think in terms of shapes (trefoil, rosette, multi-ringed flowers, triangles, squares, pretzels, "the scream") and I use these concepts to form larger patterns.

With the triangle pictured above, I have created a repeatable square, a small snowflake, and a bookmark:


I have already begun adjusting the bookmark to make a large cross. If the large cross is successful, I can use the inner portion to make another repeatable square. I also might be able to tweak the triangle itself and use split rings to make a bracelet or small bookmark.

Hopefully I'll make some progress in the next couple of weeks and will have more pictures to share!

10 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

I am sure what you end up with the triangle it's going to be another lovely pattern
Margaret

Bernice said...

I love how your mind works, keep on designing and we'll keep on tatting your patterns.

God's Kid said...

Those look fantastic!!! :)

muskaan said...

and surround it with chains, and you have a heart motif/medallion :-)))
This is very similar to the Tiny Tolerance Heart I used in my poppy . Love how basic motifs can be used to create larger pieces !!!
There are many more arrangements you can try (check out my Using a Tiny Motif... post) and if I remember correctly, Anne Bruvold had done a similar experiment creating such lovely patterns !
Looking forward to more of your wonderful piecing & placement :-)

Jane McLellan said...

I am in awe of the way your mind works!

Robin Perfetti said...

I totally forgot about your blog post, but I knew I had seen similar triangles before! It truly is a great way to make patterns, and very quick. Since they are all variations, there is little (if any) trial and error.

I do remember Anne Bruvold's dragons and there is a dragon wing doily that she made as well. Haven't seen the other experimentations of hers.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I wish we lived closer; I would love to spend time learning from you!

muskaan said...

Sorry, couldn’t get back to you sooner. Here is the link to Anne's Christmas Hearts patterns & further applications : http://www.nuperelle.net/Sammensatt/HjerterEng.htm
Inspiring, right

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I'm just now catching up on your posts, and agree that the triangle is a powerful design 'base'. An interesting use of triangles to create 'fabric' was being developed by Sue (God's Kid) where different shapes would emerge as more and more triangles were added. Her blog is called 'Tatting Lace in Grace', and I link to her 'triangle' posts in my own blog post (see below, and you can see the work she was doing. (Of course, Jane Eborall's amazing and colorful 'diamond' mat is also an example of the power of triangles!)

Following Sue's idea, when I was tatting triangles together, by luck I happened to use a thread color (Lizbeth Jelly Bean) that worked out in an amazing way to create a 'tulip' shape that has an optical illusion where the triangles disappear and the colors create an interesting effect! Simply type 'tulip' in my Search Bar and you will find the post (dated Apr. 21, 2011) where I also link to Sue's posts.

I'm glad you're getting a chance to 'play' a little bit after all the intense work you are doing with your wonderful computer designs!

Robin Perfetti said...

Hi Kathy, thanks for the info. I checked out all the blog entries last night, very interesting stuff. By pure coincidence, I had just finished designing a triangle that would fit in a patchwork right before I saw your comment. I think I'll have to try making a little mat like Sue has done.